Sara Gottfried, MD is three-time New York Times bestselling author of The Hormone CureThe Hormone Reset Diet, and her newest book, Younger. After graduating from Harvard Medical School and MIT, Dr. Gottfried completed her residency at the University of California at San Francisco. She is a board-certified gynecologist who teaches natural hormone balancing in her novel online programs so that women can lose weight, detoxify, and slow down aging.

“People in their sixties, seventies, and eighties often ask me if it’s too late to age gracefully, but what cutting-age researchers know about the innate intelligence of the body is that it keeps flexing, adjusting, and adapting to the right cues until the day a person dies. So it’s never too late to deactivate the time bombs in your cells and boost your health span.”

“Short telomeres put you at a greater risk not just for wrinkles but also for heart disease, cancer, and early death. Overall, people with short telomeres have an up to 300 percent higher risk of cancer of the pancreas, bone, bladder, prostate, lung, kidney, and neck. Thankfully, you can improve the upkeep of your telomeres. When you do, you will look and feel younger than you have in years.”

“Think back to those celebrities we admire – they are fully aware of the 90/10 rule. Genes are only 10 percent of the story of why these women keep their enviable body structure as they age; the other 90 percent is determined by their lifestyle and how it affects their biochemistry and subsequently expression of their genes, an interaction known as epigenetics.”

“There’s a particular approach for de-aging that works best: eat mostly plant-based foods, with animal-based food as a condiment, and choose anti-inflammatory forms of protein and dairy.”